Awakening Mentor Genius (May 12-15)
Inner Work for Outer Impact
Join us May 12 - May 15 for a men’s leadership development, skill-building, community-centered weekend at Camp Arrowhead in Zirconia, NC.
- How does exploring our inner world allow us to better connect to another’s experience?
- What does it mean to be an effective mentor?
- What skills must we nurture in order to show up in a powerful way as a leader and community member?
These are not rhetorical questions. The mythologist Michael Meade claims that mentoring is an archetypal activity; that is, we all hold within us a blueprint for contributing to others’ growth. It is up to us to unlock this potential.
Join us as we search for the mentoring “genius within”, with assistance from the archetypal framework laid out by Robert Moore and Douglas Gillette.
Participants will leave this weekend with
- A deeper understanding of their mentoring & leadership gifts
- Awareness of avoidance patterns that sabotage one’s ability to hold a mentor presence
- A sense of connection to the broader community of healthy men
- And a more clear sense of their capability and responsibility to make a difference in the next generation of young men.
Each day we will use myth and experiential activity to dive into a specific male archetype (King, Warrior, Magician, Lover), examining our relationships to this inner character and the promise that each carries. Along with the study of archetypes, we will work through specific skills that can set us apart as excellent leaders & mentors:
Warrior - Balancing appropriate structure: How do we balance boundaries with freedom?
Lover - Recognizing positive intent: How do we see the deeper intentions behind behavior?
Magician - Asking engaging questions: How do we ask questions that summon up problem solving skills and curiosity?
King - Blessing others: How do we affirm the talents of others in a way that promotes autonomy and self-esteem (rather than codependency)?
The event will run from 3:30 pm on May 12th through 2:00 pm May 15th. Tuition for participants is $400 which includes food and modest lodging, with a sliding scale available as needed.
Registration will be first come, first serve with a completed form and deposit securing your spot. The Deadline to register is Wednesday, May 4th and we will be capping the weekend at 50 men total.
There WILL be a role for initiated Jmen aged 15-17, please reach out if your young man has been through a ROPAW and would like to participate.